Getting rid of acne after a long time of struggling from this condition was a relief. But no — the journey isn’t over yet! You’ll then have to deal with the skin discolorations caused by the healed acne lesions. Luckily, these discolorations or marks are not true scars and will eventually fade naturally but it may take 3 to 24 months, or it may take longer in some cases. Don’t get discouraged because there’s a solution to help you get rid of these acne marks or dark spots faster.
I have a long journey battling with acne before, my face was like a farm of zits. Yuck, yuck! But thanks, Baby Jesus, I have a clear skin now by using homemade acne remedies! However, before I get back to my skin’s former clarity, acne marks or dark spots was another challenge that I have to deal with. I know it will naturally fade away, but I just can’t wait while I can do something to get rid of it faster. I have listed the most of 5 home remedies that I used to resolve these issues.
Natural acne marks or dark spots remover
Aside from using baking soda as acne remedy, this not-so-coarse powder works wonders when used to remove acne marks or dark spots. It lightens the skin while sloughing off dead skin cells.
- Prepare a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with a small amount of water (enough to make a paste mixture). You may also use lemon juice to substitute water.
- Wash your skin and dry excessive water to leave it slightly damp.
- Apply while massaging it on the affected areas where acne marks are. Leave it for a minute or two. Always keep in mind not to leave it on your skin for a longer time as it may cause dryness.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water, then dry it with a clean towel. Don’t forget to apply moisturizer afterwards because baking soda can be very drying in some cases. You can use your favorite moisturizer, but in my case, I love using a very small amount of olive oil onto my face and give it a loving massage in a circular motion which leaves my skin well moisturized.
Repeat this method 2-3 times a week.
Lemon juice is no doubt can help to lighten the acne marks or some certain dark spots. It contains citric acid, glycolic acid, and lactic acid which belongs to Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA). This improves the production of collagen that sums up into more healing of the infected skin. It also removes dead skin cells and making the skin healthy.
Unfortunately, I have a very sensitive skin but I must admit that it works and have made my acne marks become “somehow” lighter, so I included it here in my post. As far as I can remember, I have only used it for around 4-5 times, then I stopped using it on my acne marks because I can’t stand the stinging effect anymore and the redness that it’s causing on my skin. I bear those effects for all those times because I was hoping my skin will eventually get used to it, but I was wrong and just gave up on it. *Sigh. Just use it with caution, and if your skin isn’t sensitive as mine, this could work effectively with you.
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon into a clean small bowl.
- Clean your face as you regularly do and dry it with a clean towel.
- Dab a cotton ball into the lemon juice and start swiping it onto the affected areas.
- Leave it on your face for a few minutes then rinse it off with cool water.
Do this every 2 to 3 days.
Aloe vera gel / juice
Aloe vera gel / juice is a wonderful way to remove acne marks, too! It soothes the inflamed skin while regenerating the damaged tissue and moisturizing the skin which lets acne marks to fade. The cooling effect whenever I have it applied on my face is very soothing.
- Start this method by washing your face, then pat it dry.
- Break off a small part of aloe vera and squeeze off the pulp into your clean hands.
- Apply the gel-like pulp directly onto your face, focusing on the acne marks.
- You can wash it with cool water after 40 minutes or you may just leave it on your face overnight as your night cream to have that youthful glow in addition to removing your dark spots. 🙂
Aside from being an effective anti-aging moisturizer, honey has antibacterial properties which help in clearing acne or pimples and reducing the dark spots they leave on the skin. If you have a sensitive skin like mine, this could be the great option for you without drying your skin. I always prefer using raw honey. And if you’re not allergic to lemon juice, you can combine a few drops of it with honey to make it more effective.
- Apply a thin amount of honey onto the acne marks, it will also be perfect if you’re going to apply it all over your face.
- Massage it in a circular motion.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes before rinsing it with lukewarm water.
Castor oil is one of my favorite oil, and if you noticed, this has been my word of mouth. 🙂 I trusted this oil for so many effective ways it did on my part. From making my hair grow faster, having a moisturized skin, getting rid of acne which also includes removing my acne marks and dark spots and many more! While you’re using it to remove discolorations caused by previous breakouts, at the same time, this will help you prevent them from coming back and you will also get an even skin tone.
- Wash your face with a lukewarm water, or steam for about 10 minutes to open the pores. Pat your face dry with a clean towel.
- Take a small drop of castor oil onto your fingertips and start applying it gently onto your face.
- Give your face a massage in a circular motion, but the acne marks and dark spots should be your focus areas.
Do this twice a day. Once is okay, but twice is better. 🙂
Patience is the key
Whatever method of treatment you choose, please understand that the visibility of the results will take time but there are two things I am sure of: one, it will fade those discolorations faster than fading itself; two, it will definitely save you some bucks. 🙂 Additionally, the length of time that it will take for the acne marks and dark spots to fade will be depend on how dark it is compared to your skin tone. Patience~~ patience, okay?
So now, let me ask you
Have you decided which of these methods you’re going to try to remove your acne marks or dark spots? And if you have experienced with one of these treatments, can you share how was the result? Whether it works or not, I am open to hearing your thoughts. 🙂